Monday 6 June 2016

Chalkboard Vinyl Artist of the Week Wall Art


Hello! Bev here with a tutorial for Chalkboard Vinyl.  I came up with a reusable artist board.  I love the way it has turned out and I have a very happy little lady in the house.

What you will need:
  • Silhouette Cameo/Portrait
  • Chalkboard Vinyl
Step One

Open a new page in your Silhouette program.  There are no registration marks or print borders needed so you can make this project as large as your cut area will allow.
 Draw a box using the tools on the lefthand side of the screen.  I chose to use the box with rounded corners as I like the effect it gives once cut.  Add a text box and type in what you would like it to say.  I used Artist of the Week as I would like to change out the pictures and I can use it for my sons artwork too.

Choose a font you like (one with quite thick lines is good, especially when it comes to lifting the project from the backing paper)

Step Two

The next step is to use the Weld feature to weld the two objects together to make one object.  Line up the text on top of the box, and slightly overlap the bottom of the text with the top of the box.
Once you have the two lined up, select the modify button along the top of the program.  Highlight the two objects and select Weld.  It can take a try or two to get it right, but easily fixed if you do not manage to weld it correctly first time.  Should you need to, press the control and z button together on your keypad and that will undo the last action.  You can also click the back arrow at the top of the screen.  Once welded it will look like this
You can see that the words have been welded into the box and are now one piece.

Step Three

Load your chalkboard vinyl onto your cutting mat and load into the Silhouette machine.  There is no specific cut setting for chalkbaord vinyl so I selected the regular vinyl setting and cut first wth that suggested setting.  Unfortunately it did not cut through sufficiently so I made some adjestments.  I found that by changing my blade setting to 3, my speed to 8 and thickness to 9 it worked much better.  I also selected a double cut just as a back up.  Always check with a test cut first and adjust your machine settings accordingly.

Step Four

You will need to weed the design next and this is very easy with the silhouette hook.  It really starts to take shape after the weeding is complete

Step Five

Remove the backing paper carefully and slowly so not to accidentally tear any of the lettering.  And the last part is to place it in the area you wish for it to live.  You can use chalk to write the name of the artist and I used some pretty washi tape to secure the picture in place.  Blutack would also be an option along with a peg glued on to the vinyl.

I am really pleased with the end result and my vinyl now has pride of place on the kitchen wall.  I have really enjoyed sharing with you and can't wait to see what you create!

DESIGNS USED:

LW Perfect Type font

PRODUCTS USED:

Light hold cutting mat for Cameo

2 comments:

  1. Super project Beverley - kid's would love to see their artwork displayed like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cute Beverley. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete