Saturday 30 July 2016

Shadow puppet theatre




Hey there, it's Sara here. A period in my childhood, we used to live in Indonesia. There I discovered the shadow puppet theatre. It mesmerised me as a child completely. Now that its summer holidays, I thought it would be fun to create a shadow puppet theatre for my daughter, and see her get fascinated as I did when I was a child! I have chosen to have a woodland/ red riding hood themed puppet show, but you can add any theme you want, as long as you have a good shape, you can easily turn it into a silhouette and use it as a puppet.

Supplies needed:

Empty box
Black cardstock
Skewers
Light
Double sided tape
Colored cardstock
LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD Design (ID #30844)
ASSORTED FOREST ANIMALS Design (ID #80812)
FREE BANNER2 FROM LIBRARY
FREE CLOUD FILE FROM LIBRARY
FREE PLUSBG FROM LIBRARY



1. Preparing your design:

Add the animals and red riding hood and resize them so they are similar size.


Put your cut settings on cardstock and cut your design using black cardstock. 
Using a hot glue gun, glue the shapes to the skewers.



Now to make the trees, create a rectangle, a circle and add the plus background design from the silhouette library.
Weld the cirlce and rectangle together. Duplicate your design and resize it so its a bit smaller.
I wanted to have the plus designs a bit different so I rotated them till it looked like x's.

Cut your trees using black cardstock.

To decorate the theatre box, I chose to use the theatre card design available at the silhouette store.

First I will use the curtain design. Only the pink parts.



Measure the box length and width to get the curtains in the right size to fit on the edges of the box.
Cut out a rectangle inside the box.


Create the grass using the grass design from the theatre card design. Ungroup, remove the offset pattern, mirror and weld together.


Using a double sided tape, attack the curtains. and add the grass in the bottom. Add a white paper on the back of the box to create the shadow effect.


I wanted to decorate the top part of the box, so I used the roof part from the theatre card and resized it to fit the length of my box. 


Then I attached it to my box.


Create the text "Theatre" using the LW Bubble letter font. Cut the text using glittered cardstock. You might have to adjust your thickness settings to higher because of the texture of the paper, but do a test cut before you start cutting your design.


Add the glittered text on top and your theatre is ready to be used. 




















DESIGNS USED:

        


PRODUCTS USED:














3 comments:

  1. Great idea Sara, with endless variations. The tutorial is very useful and easy to follow too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to check out the Theatre file. It's number #86516 everyone. Fabulous tutorial Sara!

    ReplyDelete