Friday 20 April 2018

Believe | Doodling with Sketch Pens | Niki Rowland


Hey there! Niki here today. OK, I'm aware I'm a bit late in the year with Christmas layouts but I had some photos leftover from Christmas time that I hadn't scrapped yet and just decided to get them done this month! (I also have loads of Halloween photos but that's another story...)

So for this layout I've used my sketch pens. I love sketch pens - they are great for so many things but I usually use them for giving cut files some definition rather than actually drawing with them. So today I have used three doodle-style cut files to doodle directly onto a layout - absolutely no cutting involved whatsoever!

I love these doodled decorations - they are a border and are specifically a sketch pen file. This one comes with a doodled design PLUS an outline for cutting. I choose to doodle directly onto my background so didn't need the cut so I separated the two designs and removed the cut outline. I re-sized and positioned the design onto my layout.

I then opened up some frames - again these came with cuts too but I separated the doodle parts I wanted and deleted the rest.

Again I re-sized and positioned these frames onto my layout. I can actually see my layout coming together on screen which is pretty cool.

And then I decided I needed something at the bottom too. I found some word borders, deleted the cuts and selected the one that I wanted.

 I positioned this word border onto my layout at the bottom and made sure I had everything in the right place before sending to sketch with my Silhouette.

 In the 'Send' screen I selected 'sketch' from the dropdown menu on Tool 1 and I took out my blade from the actual machine and popped in a black sketch pen. I then sent it to sketch.

I find watching the sketch pens doing their thing in the machine really quite fascinating - the quality is awesome! I loved the hanging decorations at the top so much! I coloured them in using water colour paints and a fine paintbrish and embellished with enamel dots, gems and fussy cut presents and ephemera.

I added photos and papers in each of the frames and created little clusters of embellishments around them. I also hand wrote my journaling under the doodled word border at the bottom.



Will you give your sketch pens a work out? I really enjoyed using mine in this way and the effect is really awesome and such a high quality finish. I must do it again soon!

Happy scrapping xx 


DESIGNS USED:

PRODUCTS USED:


1 comment: