Monday 11 June 2018

Rhinestone feature take 3 - Sequins!



Hi everyone. It's Verity here from Pretty Little Button bringing you another project. So if you have seen my previous post you will have seen how I have tried using the Rhinestone feature in the Designer edition to create cards. The first used it in the traditional manner, but I also create a card with the waste from the template. You can find that post here. For the post last week, I used the rhinestone feature to help create cards with the use of my Nuvo drops, and you can find that post here. Today, the last in my little mini series in using the Rhinestone feature in Silhouette, I used it to create modern cards with sequins! Two cards I used to create a sentiment and one card I made a basic design pattern and converted this into a rhinestone pattern.

Rhinestone feature take 3 - Sequins feature detail:


For the Rainbow inspired card, I used the arc tool on the left hand tool bar. 


I drew a line horizontally until the length of the line was the radius I wanted for the arc.


 Then I drew an arc with 180 angle - the software lets you know the angle of the arc inside the small inner semi-circle, as seen below. 

 

To create additional, arcs, I copied and pasted the arc, gradually increasing the size of the arc each time. 


Now, if like me you aren't the best at lining your objects up, Silhouette has this sorted for you as you can use the transform window (three little bar icon on the right hand tool bar) to do just that. Make sure you are on the align tab in the transform window and select the align centre on the horizontal line. This will ensure they align up in the middle. To make sure they also align in height, you can select align bottom in the vertical section. 


To convert this into a rhinestone pattern, select the rhinestone icon (faceted jewel) on the right hand tool bar. For this pattern, I used 10ss approximate size as I only wanted the pencil to highlight where to place a sequin, but didn't have to be the same size as a sequin otherwise the pencil lines could show once assembled. As sequins are larger in diameter compared to rhinestones, you need to take this into consideration with the spacing. So for the spacing, I opted for 0.250 in and this worked out well for the design!


For the sentiments, there is a Rhinestone font in the Silhouette Store by Lori Whitlock. I typed out 'Thank you' and 'Cheers' and adjusted the size until I was happy with how they would sit on the card front. 

You will want to load your mat with the card of your choosing and place a pencil in your pen holder and then into your machine. When you send to your machine, make sure you change the cut settings to sketch and use the pen holder. As you can see below, once sent, the pencil will draw all the little dots. These indicate where you need to attached sequins


To attach the sequins, you will need some strong adhesive - I used Glossy accents. To speed up the process, the 'Pick me up' helps as you can easily pick up the sequins with the sticky end, and unscrew the plastic end for the poky tool to help position the sequin onto the card.

You may think that these cards took quite a long time, however time pasts quickly with a bit of music. As I put a lot of effort in with the sequins I kept the rest of the card simple to appreciate the work put into the cards. 

For this first card, I used a single colour of sequins and embossed an additional sentiment to finish it. 

For this second card, I used additional jewels that look similar to rhinestones but are different. I love the rainbow colour against the bold white background. I stamped an additional sentiment for simplicity.


And below you can see the 'Rainbow' card I created. I didn't use rainbow colours for this - I don't have the correct colours in my sequin stash but I love the pink tones of the design. This would be great to adapt for a little girls card!



If this has inspired you to try this out, please post below. I would love to see it!

Until next time,

Verity




Profile Pretty Little Button Blog | Instagram | Facebook

FONTS USED:
LW dots font by Lori Whitlock, Design ID #78284

PRODUCTS USED:

   

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this amazing post, I have managed to follow the rainbow tutorial and can't wait to get my sequins out. My very first attempt at arcs and rhinestones patterns.

    ReplyDelete