Saturday 22 September 2018

Foxy Baby gift set


Hello, Janet here with a variety of projects using the Silhouette Flocked Heat Transfer Vinyl. I love the velvety texture and have found it doesn't need to be used exclusively on fabrics - it works great on other surfaces too!

I've used the flocked media in orange and white to make a baby gift set using some of the cute fox themed files by Amy Robison (#37332#40840, #40570). The media and the files are so versatile that I was able to make a range of themed items, and really only touched the surface - there are so many more possibilities for a complete fox-themed baby shower, or child's birthday party. There are other cute animals too, so a complete woodland theme is another possibility.



Baby Vests

My first project was the vest with the complete fox on it (information on the one with the tail comes later). I used the fox file (#37332), and aside from re-sizing, cut it straight from the file in white, orange and black flocked heat transfer (not forgetting to MIRROR BEFORE CUTTING, of course). I applied the single orange piece first and then the white pieces, finishing with the black. There is more information on applying Flocked Heat Transfer in this post.



I made two further vests using Amy's Fox Cupcake Wrapper file (#40840). Yes, you did read that correctly - I used the cupcake file. At first glance I'd thought that the head and tail were separate from the wrapper, but they were actually joined up to the rest of the wrapper, so I used the knife tool to cut them apart. I love, love, LOVE the tail and think it will look SO cute on a baby.




Fox Greeting Card

For this project I used the original Fox file (#37332) and the Print & Cut Woodland Party Invitation file (#40570). The card file is made up from a number of separate Print & Cut elements (thank you for providing all the elements separately Amy, it makes the file SO versatile).

I changed the dimensions to make a square card and just printed the backgrounds (grey on the front, and woodland on the back), together with the oval and the banner, adding the word 'congratulations'.

The word was curved to the shape of the banner by dragging the typed word to the top edge of a copy of the banner shape by the transform handle, then ungrouped, and moved it onto the other copy of the banner. It was filled with white before being sent to print onto heavy-weight white cardstock.


The fox was cut from orange flock, and regular smooth black and white heat transfer from the original fox file, reduced in size to fit the card. I activated the adhesive on the pieces in turn using my heat press, but an iron on a non-steam setting would work too.

I love the velvety texture of the fox on the card. You'll find details of applying flocked heat transfer to card here and here.



Fox Wall Art

This is a plain canvas with a piece of printable cotton canvas adhered to the top and sides, and the flocked fox applied on top. For this project I also used the original Fox file (#37332) and the Print & Cut Party Invitation file (#40570).

The fox was cut as for the original version of the baby vest and applied to the background BEFORE it was attached to the canvas. This order of work makes it so much easier than trying to apply the heat transfer direct to the canvas.

The woodland background was printed with the grey background (taken from the invitation file) onto a piece of Silhouette Printable Cotton Fabric. You can read all about printing on the printable cotton here. A piece of regular patterned fabric could be substituted, but I was unable to find anything suitable locally, this is where the printable cotton really comes into its own.

After applying the fox to the woodland background, I ironed the whole piece onto the canvas. I then used fabric adhesive around the edges to secure the background to the canvas.



If you haven't already tried flocked heat transfer I hope you'll try it. I love its feel and versatility, and I hope you do to.


Bye for now,


  Crafting Quine BlogInstagram @CraftingQuine



DESIGNS USED:


PRODUCTS USED:

4 comments:

  1. What lovely projects Janice. Love them all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, I have a soft spot for foxes.

      Delete
  2. OH! how absolutely adorable, I LOVE your projects, what a wonderful gift.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith, i hope the recipient loves them too!

      Delete