Wednesday 23 January 2019

DOTW - Frosty Mornings & Toasty Mugs - 22 January 2019 - Making a cut file into print and cut.


Hello, hello Karen here wishing you a happy Wednesday.

If I am being honest (now keep this to yourselves) sometimes when I see the free Design of the Week I am somewhat stuck for what to do with it.  I have to admit that when I saw this week's one I exclaimed, out loud, "You Must Be Joking"!


But I put on my 'big girls pants' and my 'thinking cap' and decided to use it for a post on how to change a cut file into a print and cut file.

When I opened the design I was pleasantly surprised to see that most of the work has been done for me.  It was already coloured and the position of most of the elements was correct.

So to start I will show you how to add colour to this colourless design and then get on to working with this weeks design.



Once you have opened your design  click on 'SEND' and change the outline to 'No Cut' - as the title says this will tell your machine not to cut the outline of the design.


Now comes the exciting bit - choosing the colours of your design. Firstly ungroup the design.


Now this has been done you can colour the sections of the design using the colour palette.  Open the colour palette - to make the leaves green I simply clicked on the wreath and then clicked on the green colour I wanted from the colour palette.


Do the same for the butterflies.

Drag your butterflies to where you want them on the wreath and group the design.


On the 'Line Style Palette' change the lines to white.


The final step is to add an offset outline and registration marks to the design for cutting.

To add an offset go to the offset panel and once you click on it an offset will be added to your design, this will not show until you change the line colour back to red.



To add your registration marks simply choose the size of paper/card you are using (I only have a standard printer so have to choose A4) and registration marks from the Page SetUp Menu.



On SEND check once more that only the offset lines are going to cut.



Now you are ready to send your design to print and then cut out on your machine.

I changed the colours again (my printer was out of red ink) and printed out the design to make a birthday card.




Now back to this week's design. I arranged all the elements to make the design complete and added 'Wishing you' as I decided to make it into a card.


All that was left for me to do was to print and cut the design and add to a card with some foam pads.






No comments:

Post a Comment