Saturday 1 April 2017

Subway Art Family Box Frame

Hello Silhouette fans and happy April!

Maria here with you again with a very quick and simple project. It is my friend's twins birthday very very soon and as a last minute present I have made a family frame for them.

This is honestly a very quick project, I think it took me less than 10 minutes from start to finish! But I think the final result is gorgeous... I'll let you be the judge!




WHAT YOU'LL NEED:


  • Silhouette Cameo or Portrait
  • Cardstock
  • Patterned paper
  • Deep box frame



Instructions:

First of all I open the Design Page Settings window, as the frame that I have is just over 8.5 inches square, so I want my mat to show that size so I know where I'll be working.


I originally wanted to make a family tree style frame, but to be honest, I couldn't find one that I liked for this particular family, which is really surprising as there are tons of them on the Silhouette Design Store. So I decided to just create my own from scratch, making it like a "subway art" piece.


So I chose my desired font and resized it to fill the page. I did the same with all the other names, resizing them to fit as needed as not all the words are the same length.


And you are ready to cut! Very straight forward, see?

However, just a little warning... You will be using the negative space on your frame, which means you have to be really careful when weeding your cut off the cutting mat, as you don't want to break any pieces!

UPDATE:

This is how you put the frame together. Deep box frames have a wooden insert that sits between the glass and the back of the frame. You put your cut against the frame, then the insert on top, and lastly you put your pattern paper over the insert. That creates the shadow :)



And here is the final project! I hope you have enjoyed it



Thanks for dropping by and read you soon! x




PRODUCTS USED



3 comments:

  1. Hi how did you get the name part to sit to the front of the frame? So it creates a shadow behind it? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! Deep box frames have a border that sit between the glass and the back. So first you insert your cut against the glas, then you put this border on top which keeps it in place, and then you put your pattern paper on top of the border, so it creates a gap. I will take a couple of photos and update the blog post. An image is always worth a thousand words! :)

      Delete
  2. That's great! Thank you so much for replying and taking the time to update with photos. I'm definitely going to try it :)

    ReplyDelete