Hello, Janet here with a quick and easy gift idea using this week's featured product for the Silhouette UK Design Team - Silhouette Metallic Vinyl. I've applied the vinyl to a blank acrylic shape and added a pretty ribbon, job done (or so I thought, only I'd made a teeny mistake, so job took slightly longer). I'm sharing my mistake/happy accident here and showing how I sorted it super fast!
Now, time was ticking on this project; I needed a gift for a friend with a new baby for the same afternoon, so time was VERY tight. I knew she wanted a 'do not disturb' type sign to hang on her outside door, so I popped over to the Silhouette Design Store and purchased the Baby Sleeping Door Hanger file by Ginny Nelson (#28287).
The file needed minimal work, just ungrouping to isolate the phrase, and reducing in size to fit an acrylic blank I had to hand (luckily). I cut the phrase from teal coloured Silhouette Metallic Vinyl, which I hadn't used before - it's super shiny and a perfect match for the blue spotty ribbon I'd had in my stash for an age. The recommended settings worked like a dream, it seemed, and I seemed to be making good time. The problem was, when I lifted the design onto the transfer tape the dots following 'Shhh' and above the 'i' remained attached to the waste and were not going to detach successfully. I'd obviously reduced the design to a smaller size than it was intended to be. In my haste I'd forgotten to cut any extras.
Here is the transferred designs with no dots. As you can see on the piece of vinyl in the picture, I recut a couple of rows of freshly made dots in different sizes, each row with it's own weeding box. It also occurred to me that I might be able to use stars instead, so I added a few rows of them to see what they'd look like. I've linked to a star file at the bottom of this page, but any five-pointed star would do.
This time around I amended the cut settings, and added an overcut. I added a tick in the box as shown below. This activates the default overcut settings (you can read more about Overcut here).
I lifted one of the rows of stars onto the transfer tape, waste and all, and pulled the waste away after. This is a form of reverse weeding, and very useful, especially for tiny pieces.
The spacing of the stars was a little wide, so I transferred them to the blank one at a time.
I added the ribbon (no time for a bow) and the gift was finished. There was no time for a pretty gift bag or wrapping paper, just a presentable piece of tissue paper, and my gift and I were ready to go.
I like my little adaptation to the design, I hope you do too.
Bye for now,