Here at Helens Craft Studio I've been doing some spring cleaning (we're nearly in spring!) and whilst doing that I really like to reorganise and repurpose anything that hasn't been used in a while. This mirror has been stacked in the corner of the bedroom since we last moved as it didn't have a place in the new house and I thought it would be great to give it a revamp and put it into my daughters room! I really like the result so here is how I did it.
The translucent vinyl is a really lovely material, quite thick and in some beautiful colours. As its quite thick it is better used for simpler designs rather than intricate ones as it was quite difficult to weed. Once I had decided which files I wanted to use to decorate the mirror I downloaded them and opened in Silhouette Studio. There were two different versions of the file in the download. I selected the top one and 'ungrouped' it from the bottom image. I then made sure they were the correct size for the area that I wanted to cover with the mirror. I just did this by resizing the file by selecting it and clicking and dragging on the corners of the file to make it larger. Once I was happy with the file size I went on the 'send' tab to cut the design.
I used the 'Vinyl - Matte' setting to cut the translucent vinyl and it worked really well but I did need to make two passes over it. I had cut the butterfly out in the pink material I decided that the design really needed some leaves. The leaves I liked where on the Hollyhocks file but I only wanted to cut out the leaf part of the file. To do this I pulled a large square over the parts I didn't want to cut out and use the subtract tool to leave just the area I wanted to cut still visible. Then I sent this to cut in the same way as the butterfly file.
Once I had cut the designs out I weeded them and used transfer tape to stick the designs to the mirror.
Thanks for reading this post. If you liked the project or have any questions leave me a comment below.