Wednesday 19 December 2018

12 Day of Christmas - Free Design Every Day


Hello, hello - Karen here with my Wednesday post.  This week Silhouette America have been releasing a new free design every day - 12 days of Christmas.

There is a huge verity of designs to download and I have snagged them all!  They are still available up until Christmas Day.

My favourite one so far is this Deer Cube
I thought it would be lovely to make up and then had an idea - if I cut a circle from the back of the cube and cover it with vellum I could put a battery tealight behind and that would shine through.



I started by opening the file and separating the box from the inserts.  I then added a cut circle to the centre back of the box (shown in blue) and removed the hanging tab as I wanted to stand it on my window ledge. 


Next, I arranged all the inserts so that they would fit onto a piece of A4 card.


I then cut the cube and inserts and glued a piece of vellum over the circle at the back of the cube

Once I had cut out the cube and inserts I decided that I would cover it with gold glitter card as it looked quite plain.


I drew a square the same size as one of the sides of the box and replicated it five times (one for top right and left sides of the box.  I added a circle the same size as the one on the box to the other two.  Then, to give me a small white border I added an internal offset of 0.05 to the squares and an exturnal offset of 0.05 to the circles.  Once they had been cut I added the plain squares to the top, right and left sides of the cube and the square with the circle to the inside back and outside front of the cube.



I glued the cube together, leaving the back open and assembled it by adding the inserts one at a time.  I folded the side tabs forward and glued them to each side.

Once all the inserts were in place I sealed the back but glued the tabs to the outside so they didn't show inside the cube.

And once I added the tealight behind I was thrilled with the result!


                                    



1 comment:

  1. Love your take on it KAren. The glitter card looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete