Hello, hello Karen here with a different use for the Silhouette Stencil Material. I wondered if I could use it to make stencils for decorating cupcakes so gave it a try.
You will need:-
Silhouette Stencil Material
Flat Paint BrushDESIGNS USED:
Step 1 - Designing and cutting the stencils.
- For my cake stencils I chose some complicated designs and some simple designs. I set them all into 2in circles and cut from the stencil material according to the instructions on the packaging.
Step 2 - Decorating Your Icing.
- I used ready to roll icing and rolled it out to abot .25 ins deep.
- I tried it with the icing still quite soft and found that the stencil material stuck to the icing and pulled parts of it away.
- I also tried painting through the stencils and this resulted in the food colouring 'bleeding' under the stencil.
- I found that the perfect solution, for me, was to allow the icing to stiffen up a little and to dust the underside of the stencil with icing sugar. I then held it firmly in place and 'stippled' the food colouring through with a flat brush. This seemed to give me perfect patterns on my icing.
- Some of the stencils worked better than others and I think it is a matter of trial and error.
- I am sure that this method could be used on much larger cakes.