Saturday 21 May 2016

Tutorial - Changing cut files into Print and Cut files.


Hello, Karen here again and today I have a card I made for a friend who invited us to her wedding.
I didn't want to make a 'normal' acceptance card and she is far from normal - a drama teacher and that says it all!

STEP 1 - Filling your shapes.
  • I wanted to use a print and cut owl that I already had but also wanted to make a card that had several layers to it.  
  • I didn't need to resize the owl but wanted the owl on the left so used the 'Flip Horizontally' option. 
  • Next I opened up my phrases and deleted the ones I didn't want by ungrouping them and selecting the one I wanted and deleting the remainder.  Be careful when you ungroup and delete that you don't delete the centre of your letters. 
  • I then separated the border from the words 
  • and changed the cut line to no cut on the words. 

  • Next I made sure that the centre of the letters were not grouped with the outside by choosing 'Release' in the Modify menu. 

  • In the 'Fill Pattern Window' I chose a pattern to fill my words and filled the centre of the letters with white. 
  • I grouped the centers of the letters with the words and centred the phrase with the outline using the centre option under the Align Window.

  • I arranged my sun and cloud how I wanted them and colored them as above.  I then changed the cut to 'no cut'. 
  • Finally, I resized my cloud and sun to 3 ins wide (7.5cms) and added a white border by choosing the Offset Shape option .
  • The last thing I had to do was to make the frame.  I did this by drawing a 6in x 4in (10 x 15 cms ) rounded corner rectangle and another one 5.5ins x 3.5 ins  (14 x 9 cms) and centered them.  I filled the smaller one with white and the larger one with a poker dot pattern. Then I opened an A4 page, with registration marks, and arranged my pieces onto this.
  • I printed my page and then put it through the Silhouette to cut the pieces.
  • Finally I layered the pieces up onto a blank 6 x 4 card, using lots of foam pads to give maximum dimension.
I hope you are now able to fill cut shapes with colour and pattern as it doubles the use of all your shapes and phrases. 













DESIGNS USED:




PRODUCTS USED:



No comments:

Post a Comment