Wednesday 1 May 2019

Using Reflective HTV on Card - Coming to America cake topper.


Hello, hello - Karen here with my Wednesday post but this time I am not using the DOTW.  It is a 3D Delphinium design and not something I would normally make so I will show you the design but have opted to do something different this week. 



Now, on to what I have made this week.  Previously I have seen the DT using HTV on cards and I thought I would have a go.  I was sent some really lovely red reflective HTV.  This comes in a roll 9ins wide and 3feet long.  I only used a tiny bit so have loads left, after making my project, I am soooo pleased as I absolutely love it and will be using it to make a summer t-shirt!

One of the men, where I work, is going on a three month road trip around America and as today is his last day.  As I am the resident cake maker in the office, I decided to make him a cake and needed an appropriate cake topper.


I looked in the Silhouette Design Store and found this one - perfect as he loves music and he is 'Coming To America'


I rearranged the words and added a musical note at the beginning and end of the phrase. 


Finally, I added three stars with the American flag on them.



I used the colour picker to colour the notes and 'Coming to' the same colour blue as the stars and then changed the cut line to 'no cut' in the Send window.   Next I added an offset to the whole design and removed the word America.  I sent it to print and then cut out the design. 
I cut just the word 'America' from the red reflective HTV, remembering to flip the design horizontally before sending to cut.

I aligned the red letters onto the card and popped it under my heat press for 16 seconds.  I was absolutely thrilled with the result.  I just needed to add a couple of sticks and it was ready for my cake!



Just look how lovely that HTV is, shimmering in the sunlight!



When I took a photo with my flash on I realised how reflective the HTV is.





PRODUCTS USED:

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY cake, he'll be thrilled with it and the cake topper. It never struck me that HTV could be used on card. Thanks, great work.
    Faith

    ReplyDelete