Hello, hello - Karen here and today I am sharing with you a frame I made using a custom background paper and vinyl. I must confess, I have never used vinyl before and believe me it cuts like butter and goes onto the glass like a dream.
8in x 10in Frame
STEP ONE - Create custom background paper.
- Open up an A4 page, open the bird design and resize to 1 inch high.
- Drag your bird to the top left of your page and , in the Replicate window choose Row of Three and then Row of Four - you should now have a row of seven birds across the top of your page.
- Next select all of the birds and us the Duplicate Below option 8 times.
- Drag around alternate rows of birds, go to the Object menu, choose Mirror then choose Flip Horizontally.
- Drag a box around all of your birds and group them (Ctrl g).
- Change the line colour to one of your choice.
- Change the line width to 1 point.
- Send to print and trim to fit into your frame. Adhere a 3 inch square photo to the top right of your backing paper.
STEP TWO - Cutting vinyl and finishing your frame.
- Open your bird shape and resize to 7.5 inches wide. Also open the Bird Subway Art and resize to 5 inches wide. Cut these out from vinyl using the standard Silhouette vinyl cut settings.
- I adhered the vinyl to the front of the glass to give a little bit of space between the background paper and the design. In my Silhouette software, I decided where I wanted the shapes to go, made the lines black and 1.0 points, as before, and printed this out. I then laid the glass from my frame onto this so that I could accurately position my vinyl.
I hope that, if like me, you have never used vinyl before, I have given you an idea and you will give it a go.
Designs used for this project.