Saturday 26 November 2016

Using the Silhouette Stencil Material


Hi! Bev here with a tutorial on how to use the Silhouette stencil material to create a planner or diary stencil for marking important information or to do lists to stay organised.

What you will need:
  • Silhouette Cameo/Portrait
  • Stencil material
Step One

The first step is to begin to think of the kind of shapes you would like on your stencil.  squares and circles are always good to bullet point tasks and  also larger circles and boxes for quick notes.
Open a new page and start to build the shapes into your stencil.




Once you are happy with your stencil, select all and duplicate it so you have two.

The backing of the stencil material is sticky and as we are going to be using this in a different way than usual, the second stencil will be used to back the front piece of material.  It will strengthen it and make it more durable and hard wearing.


Select one of the boxes and right click and flip horizontally.  This will make the cuts a mirror image of the first stencil and you will be able to fit the pieces together perfectly.



Step Two

Ensure that your cut settings are correct and all of the shapes will be cut.  The default cut settings have the blade at 3, but I changed this to 5 as the 3 wasn't cutting the material.  A 5 cut perfectly for me, but its always a good idea to do a test cut.  I also decided to opt for loading the media only and not using a mat.  It worked so well!


Carefully place the two pieces sticky sides together and your stencil is complete!




I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and I can't wait to see your stencil material makes!


DESIGNS USED:

I used the shapes available in the studio and created the tabs by using the Polygon tool.


PRODUCTS USED:


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary! I loved creating this one! x

      Delete
  2. Genius idea for making it double sided. I was going to by a circle template for jewellery making but I'll just make one myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives it so much more durability Nadine! and its lovely material to work with. I'm going to be using it for lots of projects in the future I think x

      Delete