Thursday 2 March 2017

Introducing the 2017-2018 Silhouette UK Design Team - Marie-Claire Kelly


I’m Marie-Clare, and I’m from Glasgow. I teach English in an inner-city secondary school, and I love my job. However, I went part time two years ago after becoming a single mummy, and decided to spend more time with my son, who is now three.


I’ve always been crafty – my mum is an avid papercrafter and jewellery maker – and for as long as I can remember I’ve made things. My parents bought me an original Silhouette Cameo, and at first I didn’t really use it too often. I realise that it can be a wee bit scary finding your way round the software, and sussing out the machine’s quirks!


When I went part time at work, I set up my own small business making personalised gifts, and my Cameo went into overdrive! The poor thing must have been exhausted. When the Cameo 3 launched, I upgraded, and my old one made its way to the Silhouette Retirement Home – aka, Mum’s craft room.


In December 2016 I took a stall at my very first Christmas Market, and when I photographed my setup, I realised that every single item on my stall had required the Cameo. It has become such an integral part of my crafting.

My bestselling item last year was my personalised family tree cushion, which uses Heat Transfer Vinyl and some strategic offsetting in the design. I particularly like to make sets of personalised wine glasses, and you’d be amazed at some of the things I’ve been asked to put on a champagne flute in my time!


Of course, as well as my business, I also use the Cameo for my own makes. It has helped me to create school displays, lesson resources, decorative bits for my own little house, and games and items for my little boy. In fact, he even helps: he presses the buttons to load and unload the media from “mummy’s fancy machine”.


I’m really looking forward to showing you some of my makes as part of the design team, and I hope that I can inspire you to make something new!













1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I look forward to seeing more of your makes x

    ReplyDelete