Thursday 19 April 2018

Sketch pens and cut files

Hi and welcome to my Thursday post!

This week I have been playing with silhouette sketch pens...I have various colours but had never used them (shocking I know!) 

I decided against just writing journalling on this occasion and instead went about using them with cut files. Somewhere in the dim and distant past I am sure Paige Taylor Evans did this and I had always wanted to give it a go.

The first cut file I chose was ...

Flower Background by Paige I decided to sketch this cutfile by simply following the instructions on the Silhouette Cameo ie changing out the blade for a Silhouette Sketch pen (I chose grey) and changing the settings to sketch rather than cut.

Next I ungrouped the file and took a single petal and duplicated it 132 times. I used some gorgeous pink ombre paper to cut them from. I glued each petal in place on the sketched page keeping the ombre effect.


I added a photo, title and embellishments (mainly owls as still being inspired by the random challenge)


and the layout was complete...


I loved this technique so decided to do the same again using the Geometric Fox cutfile
This time I drew the outline with a browny orange Silhouette Pen then cut all the pieces in a coordinating piece of patterned orange paper. This time they were attached with foam pads... 


giving a little more texture and detail...


Finishing the page with the photo and some fox themed ephemera (yep another random challenge completed!)


In these 2 pages the cut file definitely dominates the page, which can sometimes seem a bit overwhelming. Neither of my photos were particularly good but I still wanted to document the stories, so using big beautiful cut files draws the eye away from the photo (not usually what I want to achieve!) but adds to my page and makes it much more visually pleasing.

I would love to know how you use cutfiles and not so good photos! Please share links to any of your work as we would love to see them.

Have a great week

Ruth xxx

1 comment:

  1. Great layouts and love how you combined sketch with cut pieces. I can’t wait to try this technique with some card designs.

    ReplyDelete