Monday 9 April 2018

Vinyl Craft Room Decor



Hi everyone. It's Verity here from Pretty Little Button bringing you another project. I can't believe Monday has rolled around again! Hopefully, I have a really easy project to inspire you to create something for your craft room this week. It is a very easy project, but for anybody who is just starting out in the world of silhouette might find this a great little project to start off with. I used some of the Silhouette Vinyl to decorate a box in my craft room, I use this box to store my Alcohol makers. It is quite a plain looking box so I wanted to add a decal to the front, and what better than with a crafty saying and some vinyl. 

Wooden box craft room decal details:

 Start off measure the size of the area you want to add your decal too. Mine measured at 8" 1/4 x 6 " 1/4 and I created a box within the design studio measuring this size. Next was the difficult part, choosing a design to add! I settled on this 'Craft & Happy' by Echo Park (Link below).

Next position the design in your design space. If you decide like me you want to cut the design out in more than one colour, ungroup the design. To reduce the amount of vinyl wasted, I separated the 'Crafty' and 'Happy' text so I did not have a big void in the middle of vinyl. I also added boxes to the individual design elements to make it easy to weed (see below).

This was sent to the machine using the vinyl matte settings, however, remember to do a test cut just to make sure! The accessory toolkit has some very useful tools to help weed your design - my favourite is the spatula! 

To adhere the design to the box there are several steps to take. Make sure you have cleaned the surface you want to adhere the design on to. You may find it difficult to adhere the vinyl down onto wooden surfaces (this can vary from surface to surface), however, adding a few thin layers of mod podge or watered down PVA glue and left dry improves this. 



The transfer tape from Silhouette has gridlines on it making it easy to ensure you adhere your design straight. Cut large enough pieces of transfer tape to cover your weeded designs. Place the tape over the top of your design. Flip this over to the back and burnish your design onto the transfer tape with the scraper tool from the accessory tool kit. Remove the white backing from the vinyl and transfer your design onto the box. Once more use the scraper to burnish the vinyl design onto your surface. When your vinyl is adhering down to the surface, remove the transfer tape and look at your lovely work!



If this has inspired you to try this out, please post below. I would love to see it!

Until next time,

Verity







Profile Pretty Little Button Blog | Instagram | Facebook

DESIGNS USED:

Crafty & Happy - Echo Park, Design ID #227294

PRODUCTS USED:

        

2 comments:

  1. I have been using my Silhouette for over a year, and it never occurred to me that it would be better to flip the design over and burnish the letters ONTO the transfer tape. I always do it the other way - trying to force the tape on to the letters. I'm so happy you pointed this out - I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, I am so glad you found a useful tip from the post, always happy to help!

      Delete