Monday 2 April 2018

Washi Sheet decorated wooden shapes using your PixScan mat


Hi everyone. It's Verity here from Pretty Little Button bringing you another project. For the post today I'm using the Washi sheets from Silhouette. I have some plain wooden shapes in my stash, both letters and different shapes. I suddenly thought, why not use the colourful washi sheets to decorate them and make them more interesting. In order for this to work, I needed a way of getting the shapes into Silhouette, and this is where the PixScan mat comes into play. The mat allowed me to get the exact shapes and sizes of the shapes without any guesswork. So if you are ready, read on to find out how to make these cards.

Washi sheet decorated shapes cards:

To start off, I placed by chosen wooden shapes on my PixScan mat. I took a picture of this with my phone, which I have already calibrated with my software. What is important when taking this photo as the wooden items are 3D, is to make sure you have as little a shadow around the objects as possible. See below.


Poorly lit with shadows cast around the edge of the letters - this will make it difficult to get a trace for the true shape of the letters.


Good lighting and a small amount of shadows - this will result in a good trace later reflecting the true shapes of the letters.

If you have shadows surrounding your objects you will find it more difficult to trace the outline of the shape. Instead, it will incorporate the shadow into the outline making it larger. Next, select the trace button and trace your embellishments. I found it easy to each shape individually to get the best outline. Make sure you adjust your threshold and high pass settings to get just the outline. These settings may vary from shape to shape, so have a play with the toggles until you have the best trace.



Once you have traced the outline, you may need to adjust the edit points for a smooth outline. I place the outline back over the shape to alterer any areas that may not have traced correctly. When you are happy with your traces you are ready to cut these out. Load up your mat with your chosen Washi sheet and select Washi sheet in your cut settings. As always make sure you do a test cut, I had to halve my pressure setting compared to the recommendations otherwise it would cut all the way through. Just like sticker paper you want a kiss-cut where it cuts the washi sheet but not the backing paper.

After your shapes have cut, you can go ahead and peel the shapes off and apply to your wooden embellishments.



I also used the traced letter shapes to create a flat washi sheet sentiment without adhering to wooden letters.



Furthermore, I used the traced letter shapes with the pen holder to draw out the sentiment. Even though the tracing at the beginning took a little time, I quickly got three cards out of that effort!




If this has inspired you to try this out, please post below. I would love to see it!

Until next time,

Verity







Profile Pretty Little Button Blog | Instagram | Facebook

PRODUCTS USED:

     

No comments:

Post a Comment