Tuesday 12 June 2018

Ewe will be missed - a flip top retirement card



Hello, Janet here with a cute card that I made for a work colleague who is retiring. The file is one of a range of files by Lettering Delights called 'Feeling Sheepish' from the Silhouette design Store. All the files feature a cute sheep and punny sayings. I can't resist a pun and I thought that the file I've chosen would work well with the sentiment "Ewe'll be Missed".




Now, I was so distracted by this cute sheep and her eye lashes, that I didn't read the file name. It wasn't until I opened up the Feeling Sheepish Treat Tent that I noticed that it wasn't actually a card. As it came, it would be great with a small bag of treats inside, or as a gift card holder, but I really wanted a card. So, I took the sheep elements and added them to the front of a card blank.




Materials Used
Silhouette Cameo, Portrait or Curio
Silhouette Glossy Permanent Vinyl
Silhouette Transfer Tape
Textured Cardstock (white, light pink, medium pink, light grey, black)
Heavyweight Square Card Base
Ribbon & Thread
Liquid Card Adhesive
Dimensional Adhesive Pads
Liquid Glaze

Adjusting the File

All I really needed to do was to adjust the flap part and detach it from the wraparound treat holder.
I used the knife tool to create the grey piece you see below. Then I added a score line and moved the holes so that the flap would make a larger sheep body.



Making  Score Line - TOP TIP ALERT!

This is how the piece looked. Rather than adding a perforated line, I drew a regular cut line, changed it's colour (to blue in this case), and by choosing 'Cut by Line Colour' made a custom setting for this line.  I reduced the Force and Blade depth to the minimum possible values and saved the custom setting as "Score Line'. This makes a very shallow cut and makes a really neat fold line. If you'd like know more about saving custom settings, you might like to read this earlier post, "How to Add a Custom Material Type".




Layering the Pieces

This photo shows how I layered the pieces. I thought it would be fun to add some space between the front and back legs. In order to do that I mounted the front legs onto the reverse of the sheep's body, and adhered the back legs directly onto the card blank. Ultimately the body would be adhered to the card base only by the flap (onto the rear of the card front).



Adding a Bow

Bows aren't really my strong point, but I made this one with three pieces of ribbon and threaded a length of embroidery floss through the back. The threads were then pushed through the holes in the layered head pieces and tied at the back of the sheep's body prior to adhering it to the card base.




Assembling the Card

The fold on the sheep's body was tucked inside the card blank and adhered to the inside, then adhesive foam pads were added behind the lower edge of the body. Leaving the backing on one side of the pads allows the flap to be opened, while still lifting the body away from the base.




Adding a Sentiment

I cut the sentiment in two colours of vinyl. Here it is shown applied behind the flap.




Finishing the Card

All that remained was to add glaze to the sheep's hooves.





This is such a fun card, and I think it turned out well, despite my initial mistake.


Bye for now,



   Profile | Crafting Quine BlogInstagram @CraftingQuine



DESIGNS USED:


PRODUCTS USED:

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this card Janet and thank you for the tip on saving the line cut, I forget to do that.
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faith. I hope you find that tip useful - I often use that fine cut line for folds, it gives a lovely neat finish.

      Delete