Monday 12 December 2016

UK Designer Spotlight - Nic Squirrell & Exclusive FREE Penguin Design


Hi Lisa here, to round up our 12 days of Christmas we have a great little treat for you!
The design team have brought some fantastic Christmas project and lots of lovely freebies too - they do an amazing job and we are so lucky that they are part of Silhouette UK, but today they get a day off so I can bring you a fab freebie on the blog and also launch some fab competitions on our social media platforms so keep your eyes on those today!

While Silhouette America and their designers do a fab job, we really like to champion our UK Talent so today is all about one of our favourite UK Designers, the lovely Nic Squirrell, not only does she have an awesome name, she designs some awesome stuff too!! She is a real favourite with myself and our Design Team and they were super excited when I told them we were going to do a little feature on her, so that is enough waffle from me, here is what Nic had to say when I asked her to tell us a bit ore about herself

Hello, I'm Nic and I am one of Silhouette's artists.

I live in a village in Kent, England, with my husband, our daughter, and three cats who think they are my studio assistants, although it has to be said, they are a bit rubbish.
 I studied Creative Visual Art & 3D Design at the University of Greenwich.  We painted, printed and sculpted, used metal and clay and glass and textiles and made a lovely mess.  It was great fun, and taught me to think in 3 dimensions, which is particularly handy when designing for Silhouette.

I love to draw and paint in all sorts of media, and am most inspired by nature and organic shapes.
I lived in Japan as a child, and it has been a big influence on my approach to design.
I get lots of ideas while going for early morning walks or runs in the countryside near my house.
My work is licensed worldwide as wall art as well as all sorts of products from greetings cards to luggage and everything in between.

I love designing papercut files for Silhouette, it's like a puzzle to work out how it’s all going to fit together.  Watching a design being cut and coming to life is like magic, I never get tired of it.  I really enjoy seeing what people make with my Silhouette files.
Instagram: @nicsquirrell
twitter @nicsquirrell

Nic has also been really kind and designed an exclusive shape for the Silhouette UK Blog, it is this super cute penguin file which you can download from HERE 

The Design Team were so excited about the free file that they have all made a project with it, so the next 7 days will be filled with penguin inspiration too!! 

As I mentioned earlier, we have some more giveaways launching today, so keep your eyes o the newsletter (you can subscribe over on the right of this page) and our Facebook and Instagram accounts for more info!

If you do make anything with your penguin file, please do tag us so we can see what you have done and share it with Nic too




1 comment:

  1. I love Nic Squirrel, had to pack my machine away to make way for a tree! But will hopefully have time to play with the software. X

    ReplyDelete