Saturday 22 October 2016

Spooky Halloween Paperclips


Hi! Bev here with another tutorial, using the gorgeous designs by Doodlebug Design Inc from the Silhouette Design Store.  They are completely adorable and I loved creating these paperclips from them.

What you will need
  • Silhouette Cameo/Portrait
  • Printer
  • Cardstock
  • Laminator or covering film
  • Paperclips
  • Glue gun/ glue dots
Step One

Open a new page in your Silhouette studio, and set the page up with registration marks for your machine and page size.  I used A4 cardstock.

Import your designs from your library, and move one off of the mat whilst you work on the first one.


Ungroup the design and begin to build the character by layering the images on top of one another.  As I was not going to be cutting the actual individual parts, I changed the outlines to transparent and selected no cut to the design.



You can zoom in on the page to ensure you get the elements lined up as accurately as possible.


Once the design as how you would like it to be, select the entire design, right click and select 'group'.
I resized to a height of 2 inches, however after printing the first sheet, I decided that slightly smaller would work best so I adjusted to a height of 1 inch.




The first image is now ready and can be set aside while you work on the other designs and repeat the above steps.






Step Two

The next stage is to use the offset tool to create a cut line around the outside of the design.  Select the design and click on the offset tool in the bar at the top of the page.



I chose to use an offset of 0.050 and repeated this for the rest of the designs on the page.  Once the designs are offset, you can select cut edge in the cut settings.  This will mean the outline of the designs will be cut but not the actual design itself (it acts in part as a buffer)

Step Three

Print your design onto cardstock and load into your Silhouette machine.  Ensure that the blade is set at the correct number and cut!




Step Five

Choose a laminating pouch that fits the elements in and send through your laminator. Alternatively you can use covering film or clear packing tape to protect and strengthen them.  Once laminated, cut around with a small pair of scissors.


Step Six

Attach the freshly covered designs to the paperclips with a hot glue gun.  Once the glue dries, your new paperclips are finished and ready to add into your calendar, diary, planner or notebook ready to mark Halloween.





I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial, I have enjoyed sharing with you and look forward to seeing your paperclip makes in the future!



Designs Used:

Frankenstein Boos and Brews by Doodlebug Design Inc Design ID#154768
Frankenstein Bride Boos and Brews by Doodlebug Designs Inc Design ID#154765
Carved Pumpkins Boos and Brews by Doodlebug Design Inc Design ID#154720

PRODUCTS USED:


Light hold cutting mat for Cameo



3 comments:

  1. These are cute,I would use these clips on a scrapbook page and a card

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susannah! I loved the designs and wanted to find a way to display them on my Halloween pages in my planner. Scrapbooking them is a fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Susannah! I loved the designs and wanted to find a way to display them on my Halloween pages in my planner. Scrapbooking them is a fab idea!

    ReplyDelete