Thursday 7 February 2019

Glitter Vinyl Pineapple Sketchbook


The glitter vinyl is super sparkly and I absolutely loved it when the lovely Lisa sent me some in the design team kit. When I saw it I just knew I had to decorate my sketchbook with it and I really loved this quote from the Silhouette Store. Here's how I created it. 

Materials
Step One
First I opened the file in Silhouette Studio and resized it by clicking and dragging on the corners of the highlight box. I then ungrouped the file so that I could choose which parts of the file I wanted to cut in each colour. I decided that the main part of the writing would be in the green vinyl. Now normally when I cut things out I would have moved the text and images around so that I was using the smallest about of vinyl possible but in this instance I really wanted the design to look perfect on the sketch book and the best way to do that was to cut all the green parts out without moving them so that I could use this to create the layout of the design. This uses a lot of vinyl but it was worth it for the finished result to look right. Once I had decided what colours I wanted everything I opened the 'Send' tab. 

Step Two
The first part was to cut the green vinyl. To do this I selected the parts of the design that I wanted to be green and then made sure these parts and only these were highlighted as 'cut' using the panel on the right hand side of the screen. I cut the vinyl using the 'Vinyl - Matte' setting and it cut out really well. I then repeated the process to cut out the parts in the pink and gold glitter vinyl, except I grouped the elements together to use the vinyl in the most sparing way possible (because it is so beautiful and sparkly). I cut the glitter vinyl on the 'Heat Transfer, Glitter' setting. When you use this setting the program will ask you if you would like to mirror the text - say no to this as we do not need to mirror this design for this project.   


Step Three
Once I had cut out all of the elements for the design I weeded the vinyl. For the green matte vinyl this was very easy. The glitter vinyl was quite hard to weed as I couldn't see the edges of the cuts in the vinyl but it had cut very well. 


Once all of the parts of the design had been weeded I used transfer tape to move the design over to the book cover. I started with the green parts of the design as this had the layout of the sentiment and I will then use this to place the other colours onto the design. 


I used a cloth to rub the top to make sure that it was well stuck down to the front cover. The glitter vinyl looks beautiful but it was difficult to stick to the transfer tape because of the glitter on the vinyl. After a bit of experimenting I found that it was easier to use Sellotape to move the glitter vinyl. 

I really love this project and I'm pleased with how sparkly it looks. If you have any comments or questions about this project please leave me a comment below. 

Helen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment