Monday 6 August 2018

Fairy drawstring bag with printable cotton sheets





Hi everyone. It's Verity here from Pretty Little Button bringing you another project. Today's project features the printable cotton sheets from Silhouette. I have tried cutting fabric on my machine and not had much luck. To be fair I didn't really persevere, giving up after on attempt. However, this was so easy to do with Silhouettes printable cotton sheets as they have a stabiliser on them making them easy to cut. Whats more, they are printable so if you are like me and not a greater sewer of designs, you can easily print your design and using basic sewing to attach it to your project.

Fairy drawstring bag with printable cotton sheets detail: 

To start, locate a design from the design store. I used this fairy design from Tanya Batrak. I originally thought of making a little tooth fairy bag to store a tooth under the pillow. However, I couldn't come up with good enough saying to go with it....was having some creators block! So instead I went for a larger bag for a little girl to store some precious items in. I plan on sending this on to my little niece. 


Make sure you add you print and cut registration marks to your design space.

I wanted a cut around my fairy that allowed me some space to sew around to attach it to the bag. The easiest way to the do this was with an offset. I used a 5 mm offset.

I wanted the wording and fairy to be attached, and I welded the offset of the fairy and a box around the text. This created one continuous line which once printed will be the cut line for the piece. 



Once you are happy with the design, send this to print and then load onto your mat. Make sure you do a test cut before sending it to cut. I reduced the settings down from 2 passes to one, and a force of 33 down to 23. At the original settings with my machine, it was cutting all the way through the fabric and backing paper!

To attach to the bag, I pinned the cut out in place and used my sewing machine to sew a simple stitch around the outside. 

Fairy drawstring bag with printable cotton sheets photos:






If this has inspired you to try this out, please post below. I would love to see it!

Until next time,

Verity




Profile Pretty Little Button Blog | Instagram | Facebook

DESIGNS USED:

Flower fairy silhouette by Tanya Batrak - Design ID #269110

FONTS USED:

Skinny minnie font by Lori Whitlock -Design ID #250519

PRODUCTS USED:


    

1 comment:

  1. AW! this is so cute, she'll be thrilled with it. Thanks for the tips.
    Faith

    ReplyDelete