Tuesday 14 August 2018

With a Quack Quack Here | Using the Silhouette Pen Holder by Niki Rowland



Hey there Silhouette UK fans! Niki here with you today sharing a layout I've made. Instead of cutting on my machine this time I have sketched...but not with a Sketch Pen, but using a pencil! Sometimes dark lines just won't do and if you want to sketch a design without the lines showing, a light pencil line is the way forward - step in the Silhouette Pen Holder.

Firstly I opened up my chosen design on screen - Triangles Background by Paige Evans


I then shrunk it and copied it so that I had it three times and arranged it on my cutting mat until I was happy with how the three of them sat together.


I then went into the 'send' window. I selected the whole design and clicked on the 'sketch' option on tool 2. I don't like to take my blade out of Tool 1 so even though I wasn't cutting at all for this design I choose to use Tool 2 anyway. Then under the dropdown option for 'tool' I selected 'Pen Holder'. I then loaded my pen holder and cutting mat and my image was drawn for me with very light pencil lines, all ready for me to paint/colour in.

The pen holder is a funny little gadget - it looks a bit like a blade but you can insert pens into it - it comes with some different sized inserts so whatever pen you are using will fit. It also comes with a teeny tiny cap that sits over the end. This is important - you have to have that cap on when inserting your pen/pencil - that way the nib of the pen isn't out too far. Once in you remove that cap and you can insert the pen holder into your machine.


 Once my design was sketched with pencil lines, I had a lovely hour or so painting :) I used different mixed media products by Shimmerz Paints to colour in all those triangles - they are so shimmery once they are dry, my favourite!


Once dry I set about building my layout on top of my painted background. I added some doodled lines around some of the triangles to give a few some extra definition and added lots of embellishments to the layout, which is about my little boy winning the Hook a Duck game at the school fayre - bless him.

Here's another look at the finished layout. I've used Maggie Holmes Carousel collection from last year to make this one and I love the way it turned out.


Thank you so much for joining me today, I hope you've enjoyed my layout and my little tutorial about the Silhouette Pen Holder - give it a try, it's a really useful little gadget.
Happy scrapping xx 




DESIGNS USED:



PRODUCTS USED:


1 comment: